2016 Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition
The Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition is an avenue for young jazz musicians in the Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of jazz and improvisation. The competition gives young musicians the opportunity to have their original music heard and evaluated by working jazz professionals. The winning ensemble will be awarded a $1500 prize and will perform a live set on the opening night of the 2016 Angel City Jazz Festival.
In addition, UCSD Jazz Camp will award a scholarship to a musician performing in the finals chosen by our judging panel.
This competition is open to all high-school and college-aged student jazz ensembles in the greater Los Angeles Area. In order to qualify for the competition ensembles must:
- be composed of musicians between the ages of 16 and 24 years old. Age restrictions apply at the time of the submission.
- have all of its members currently enrolled in a high school, college, conservatory, music academy or university in the greater Los Angeles area
- consist of between 3 and 10 members
- compose, arrange and perform original music which features improvisation
- be available to perform at the finals on Sunday, September 25th, at the Blue Whale, from 4pm to 6pm.
- be available to perform at 6pm on September 30th, 2016 at LACMA if selected as the winning ensemble
Interested artists must submit a package electronically between February 20th, 2016 and September 20, 2016 by clicking the link below. Please enter the name of the ensemble in the title field of the submission form and include the following info:
- the personnel performing on each submitted tune
- a brief history of the ensemble
Also, please attach the following documents:
- 3 tunes (mp3, mp4 or wav)
- 1 recommendation letter from a music instructor (pdf, doc, docx)
- copies of each member’s student IDs
If you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org