2015 Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition
The Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition is an avenue for young jazz musicians in the Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of jazz and improvisation. The competition gives young musicians the opportunity to have their original music heard and evaluated by working jazz professionals. The winning ensemble will be awarded a $1000 prize and will have the opportunity to perform a live set on Friday, September 25, 2015 at LACMA in a concert produced by the Angel City Jazz Festival. In addition UCSD Jazz Camp will select one player from the finalists to receive a full scolarship to their 2016 Jazz Camp.
Four finalists will be announced on September 18, 2015. Selection emphasis for the four finalists will be placed on musicianship, composition, arranging skills, quality of improvised solos, group interaction, and uniqueness of sound.
The finalists will each perform a live set in front of a panel of judges on September 20, 2015, and the winner will be announced at the end of the event.
Artist Submissions: April 15 - September 15
Finalists Announced: September 18
Finalists Competition Concert: September 20
Competition Winner Concert: September 25
This competition is open to all high-school and college-aged student jazz ensembles in the greater Los Angeles Area. In order to qualify for the competition ensembles must:
• be composed of musicians between the ages of 16 and 22 years old
• have at least one member currently enrolled in a high school, college, music academy or university in the greater Los Angeles area
• consist of between 3 and 10 members
• compose, arrange and perform original music which features improvisation
• be available to perform on Sunday, September 20th if selected as a finalist, and on Friday, September 25th at LACMA if selected as the winning ensemble
Interested artists must submit a package electronically between April 15, 2015 and September 15, 2015 by clicking the link below. Please enter the name of the ensemble in the title field of the submission form and include the following info in the cover letter:
- the personnel performing on each submitted tune
- a brief history of the ensemble
Also, please attach the following documents:
- 3 tunes (mp3, mp4 or WAv)
- 1 recommendation letter from a music instructor (pdf, doc, docx)
If you have any questions please send an email to email@example.com