Angel City Arts 2014 Young Artist Competition
The Angel City Arts Young Artist Competition is an avenue for young jazz musicians in the Los Angeles area to create and collaborate with one another in an effort to expand upon the traditional concepts of jazz and improvisation. The competition gives young musicians the opportunity to have their original music heard and evaluated by working jazz professionals. The winning ensemble will be awarded a $1000 prize and will have the opportunity to perform a live set on Friday, September 19, 2014 at LACMA in a concert produced by the Angel City Jazz Festival.
Four finalists will be announced on September 11, 2014. Selection emphasis for the four finalists will be placed on musicianship, composition, arranging skills, quality of improvised solos, group interaction, and uniqueness of sound.
The finalists will each perform a live set in front of a panel of judges at the the Blue Whale, located at 123 Astronaut E S Onizuka St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 from 4pm to 6pm on September 14, 2014, and the winner will be announced at the end of the event.
Artist Submissions: April 1 - September 8
Finalists Announced: September 11
Finalists Competition Concert: September 14
Competition Winner Concert: September 19
This competition is open to all high-school and college-aged student jazz ensembles in the greater Los Angeles Area. In order to qualify for the competition ensembles must:
• be composed of musicians between the ages of 16 and 22 years old
• have at least one member currently enrolled in a high school, college, music academy or university in the greater Los Angeles area
• consist of between 3 and 10 members
• compose, arrange and perform original music which features improvisation
• be available to perform at the Blue Whale on Sunday, September 14th from 4pm to 6pm if selected as a finalist, and on Friday, September 19th at LACMA if selected as the winning ensemble
Interested artists must submit a package electronically between April 1st, 2014 and September 8th, 2014 by clicking the link below. Please enter the name of the ensemble in the title field of the submission form and include the following info in the cover letter:
- the personnel performing on each submitted tune
- a brief history of the ensemble
Also, please attach the following documents:
- 3 tunes (mp3, mp4 or WAv)
- 1 recommendation letter from a music instructor (pdf, doc, docx)
If you have any questions please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org